Being married, being financially strong. Is it?

Marriage, to me and people around me, is more a traditional call once a person attains a certain age and in my case it was 31. Years later, i have begun to realise 'marriage' is far from just fulfilling a tradition or family call.

Living in a uber cosmopolitan society and a city-state like Singapore, everything in our daily activities revolve around transaction. From the moment the bread and butter is served on table, to taking bus or train to work, lunch, dinner, and even a small personal indulgent called 'Kopi-O' worth 90 cents; all these transactional activities call for exchanging and circulating of money within the society. And these particular transactions are meant for me but the concept in itself is universal. Given I am pretty low maintenance in term of cost of living, these transactions are within my mean. Now think about having 2 persons' transactions in a household, it does not take long for us to conclude the transactions could easily double in value, and in all likelihood it could end up more than just double values depending on the consumption behaviour of the union / household. For example certain transactions are add-on such as the need to have a TV when the other just need a radio; so ended up with a TV and a Radio in the house and this is what actually happened to me :)

Now, the key question is does marriage actually boost or strain a household's financial?

It is a simple question amid an important one. My answer is it helps boost a great deal given our low material expectation hence simple lifestyle and having the discipline in savings and investment. This is for me but not everyone or every couple are the same. It is a matter of choice and ability to stick to the decision made. I consider my fortunate in this particular expect :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xin Ning is approaching 6 next January

This Recession Was Brought to You by the Letters U, V and L

Ten ways to survive a bear market: The credit crunch is hurting but it is not the end of the world and there are wasy to survive a bear market.